Listed on The National Register of Historic Places in 1985 through the efforts of Sherry Corbett & Jim Boerke the Dayton-Campbell Historic District, commonly called Dayton Lane, represents the residential neighborhood of choice for Hamilton's prominent industrialists at the turn of the century. Campbell Avenue was named for Lewis D. Campbell, advisor to Presidents Lincoln and Johnson, and a principal land- holder who donated a stretch of land, previously used as a racecourse, to the city for use as Campbell Avenue Park.
It's 210 structures represent a variety of architectural styles from the last quarter of the nineteenth century through the first quarter of the twentieth century. The 1868 Titus Atlas of Butler County shows that the area contained within the district was only sparsely settled. Not until the l870s through the l890s was there a major stimulus to the development of the district with many new industries relocating or being founded in Hamilton. These industries were attracted by an abundance of inexpensive land and water power. Dayton Lane area, lying just east of the many new industries, provided a convenient location for founders and managers of these companies. With the infux of these wealthy industrialists, most of the prominent residences are found on Dayton Street with several on Campbell Avenue. The proximity to the factories provided convenient residences for the factory workers as well.